Northport Middle School
Friday, March 13, 2020
Today is an A Day
SectionXI has just cancelled all contests and scrimmages until APRIL 3RD ; This means that the Late Winter Season is now over.
Clubs and activities are starting up again, all clubs are at WJB. Take any shuttle bus to WJB from your school to attend. There will be two late buses at WJB at 4:30 p.m. to run drop offs. Parents can also pick students up at WJB after the clubs are over. In addition to club advisors, there will be NMS staff supervising WJB until late buses leave.
· Please check the NMS website for information regarding All Spring Sports.
· The New York State Common Core Assessment in ELA is being administered March 24 through March 27 and the New York State Common Core Assessment in Math is being administered April 20 through April 23. Please be sure your child gets a good night’s sleep, has a healthy breakfast, and comes to school with their Chromebook fully charged. As always, please encourage them to do their best. If you plan to submit a “test refusal” letter or e-mail for your child(ren), please do so no later than March 13. Please e-mail refusals to this address: email@example.com. Please be specific - Math, ELA, and/or Science (Science only applies to grade 8). Please note, students who are currently taking a Regents course in Math and/or Science are exempt from taking the New York State Common Core Assessments in those respective subjects.
· Students who are not feeling well need to go to the nurse to contact their parents. Please DO NOT call or text parents directly to be picked up.
· Attention all NMS Variety Show performers - Be sure your lyrics and costume are approved by Mrs. Conroy-Teri, Mrs. Maki Carroll, or Mrs. D’Aconti. If you are using an audio files for your performance, a copy of your music file must be given to Mr. Lippe. Continue to practice your act at home to be performance ready. The Variety Show is Monday, March 23 at Northport High School Auditorium. Tickets will be sold at the door. Tickets are $8 each.
· The NMS Variety Night will be held on Monday, March 23 at 7p.m. at Northport High School Auditorium. Tickets are $8 each and will be sold at the door. This one night show features singers, dancers, school bands, and peer bands. With 15+ acts, it’s a great night out for family and friends to enjoy for just $8 a ticket. Show your pride and be there. Don’t miss it!
· Calling all Artists! Please submit an original cover design for the award winning NMS Art and Literary Magazine "Imagine"! The word "Imagine" must appear in your design and your artwork should not exceed 9" x 12". You may use any Art medium you would like such as drawing, painting, collage, photography, digital art, etc. The winner will receive a $25 gift card to Michaels. You may submit as many designs as you would like. All entries must be handed in by Friday,
April 3. Please contact Mrs. Tucci with any questions.
6th Grade submissions will go to Denise Flores at Norwood Ave.
7th Grade submissions will go to Gina Mangione at ENMS.
8th Grade submissions will go to Claire Johnson at NHS.
NMS Chamber Ensemble meets at WJB room A121 on Wednesdays from 3:45-4:45. Chamber Ensemble is grades 6-8
· 6th Grade Jazz Band will be meeting at WJB Auditorium on Thursdays at 3:45- 4:45.
· 6th Grade Math Olympiads will be meeting at WJB in room A104 on Wednesdays at 3:45-4:45
· 6th Grade Stem Club will be meeting at Port Academy in Room A203 on Mondays and Thursdays at 3:45-4:35.
· Please check the NMS website or the front window at ENMS for information regarding All Spring Sports.
ENMS Clubs that NMS students are welcome to attend.
Environmental Action Team - 3:15 to 4:15p.m., Rm. 215
GSA - 3:15p.m. to 4:10pm - Rm. 213. Everyone is welcome!
Reader’s Café - 3:15 to 4:10p.m., Library
Stem Club - 3:20 to 5:20 p.m., Rm. Tech 2.
The dates are as follows: March 16, 17, 23, 24
Cooking Club will be meeting on Wednesday
Gaming Club - 3:15 to 4:15p.m., Library
Knitty Gritty - 3:15 to 4:15p.m., Rm. 217
Science Research - 3:15 to 4:15p.m., Rm. 112
Student Council - 3:12 to 4:10p.m., Rm. 211
Writer’s Club - 3:12, Rm. 108
Computer Club - 3:15 to 4:10p.m., Rm. 210 (Chrome Depot)
All 7th grade students that have applied for the National Junior Honor Society need to see Ms. Maki in order to sign up for the on-demand essay. The essay will be given during 4th period lunch in room 114 today.
· YDA Chill Zone – Looking for a place to get away from the cafeteria, eat your lunch and get some work done? Head over to the YDA Chill Zone in H115 on Thursdays during lunch. Sign-up in the Main H-Wing Hallway.
· All 8th graders interested in Spring Sports should go to the large cafeteria during homeroom on Friday, March 13. Please use the catwalk and stairs.
· 8th Grade Lunch Intramurals this Friday, March 13:
If outdoors: ORGANIZED FLAG FOOTBALL
If indoors: ORGANIZED VOLLEYBALL
Space is limited so sign up on the bulletin board outside the main office!
Please return all Northport Middle School library books to your ELA/English Teachers. We have many books still out and we would like them returned as soon as possible.